More horse herpes cases confirmed in Utah | Business
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Authorities say seven cases of the horse herpes virus have been confirmed in Utah, with as many as eight more suspected cases.
Utah state veterinarian Bruce L. King says Monday a second horse has been euthanized after it could not stand in its stall over the weekend.
King says four facilities are under quarantine orders because of horses infected with Equine Herpes Virus-1. The horses are in Kane, Box Elder, Davis and Utah counties.
The virus began spreading after an event last month in Ogden. More than 30 horses in nine states and Canada have been infected and at least seven infected horses have died.
The Utah Department of Agriculture is not recommending cancellations of events featuring horses.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Upcoming Events near South Davis
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Scholarship gala held to help young African American males
- LDS Church holds annual Christmas devotional
- Real Salt Lake falls short in 2013 MLS Cup championship
- Report predicts Salt Lake City will have hottest housing market in U.S.
- Funds left over from John Swallow’s campaign could be used for legal fees