Suspected drowsy driver sends UHP trooper to hospital | News
KAYSVILLE – A suspected drowsy driver caused a wreck with a Utah Highway Patrol trooper’s car, sending the trooper to the hospital.
Utah Highway Patrol officials say Trooper Dean Coy was stopped in the median of Interstate 15 near mile post 328 at around 8 a.m. when a Mini Cooper, occupied by a single male driver veered off the road into the median and hit the trooper’s vehicle from behind.
Coy was transported to an area hospital with possible broken bones and neck and back pain. Coy was released from the hospital on Sunday night and is taking a few days to recover, police said.
The driver of the Mini Cooper was treated and released at the scene.
UHP investigators believe the driver of the Mini Cooper fell asleep behind the wheel, causing the vehicle to drift into the median and hit the patrol car.
Top South Davis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Judge orders evaluation for man accused of pulling gun at police headquarters
- Residents temporarily without power after car accident
- SLC police seek suspect after armed bank robbery
- Rotary Club hosts Mother’s Day celebration for mothers in need
- SLC International Airport seeks input on $2 billion redesign